- This event has passed.
Chapter Workshop: Emotional Intelligence (Ottawa)
September 26, 2018 @ 8:00 am– 11:00 am EDT
Emotional Intelligence: The three most important EQ skills needed in business today.
The research is compelling; emotional intelligence, EI, in the workplace is fundamental to effectiveness.
*Results showed that EI related more positively to performance under a high managerial work demands context of jobs that require management of diverse individuals, functions, and lines of business, potentially because such job contexts activate and allow high-EI individuals to act in emotionally intelligent ways that facilitate their performance.
This seminar uncovers and strengthens the skills required to emotionally connect with colleagues and customers. We explore three areas that each participant brings to their interactions: interpersonal skills and techniques; intrapersonal awareness and choices; and, perspective sharing.
The case is made for the requirements of emotional connection: “Better to be interested, than interesting”. Empirical research is used to make the business case for curiosity for autobiographical information about those we meet.
Intrapersonal awareness is the foundation of everything! Take charge of your attitude and you take charge of your life with new strategies for beating negativity, eliminating doubts, and setting positive goals. Understand the power of thought, and its impact on prompting emotion. Recognize that thoughts are a choice, and that the right choice leads to better decisions and better outcomes.
The demonstration of high EI is outstanding interpersonal communication. Participants practice. “being their best selves”, through experiential activities that foster empathy. Empathy has been proven to reside in high-performers but is still underutilized in most.
Curiosity/ Resilience: Interested versus Interesting
- Learn the skills of emotionally connecting with prospective and existing clients.
- Learn the simple skills of authentic client communication by knowing how to tap into the autobiographical urge of others.
- Ask the right questions at the right time builds your emotional foundation with existing, or prospective clients.
- Revive the most important emotional skill to likeability.
- Realize that money (business, goodwill) flows in the direction of biographical knowledge.
- Think your way to a happier life.
Empathy: The Gold Standard of Emotional Intelligence
- Incorporate the gold standard of emotional intelligence into your life.
- Learn the power of empathy and the importance of listening well
- Like a rare commodity this skill predominates in high-performers but is available to all.
Dr. Paul Byrne is a senior partner and trainer with Mackay Byrne Group; he is also a professor of communications skills in Ottawa, Ontario. As a professor, he’s been formally recognized for outstanding achievements in teaching and curriculum design. Corporate clients have been consistently rewarded with his ability to translate academic theory and psychological research into practical communication techniques for the workplace. His training design and delivery skills have been applauded by clients coast to coast.
His personal belief is that enhanced communication competence is a result of a heightened self-awareness, an appreciation of benefits (personal and organizational), and knowledge of easy to understand communication techniques and strategies. To this end, he consistently creates an environment that is psychologically safe, highly participatory, and above all, professionally relevant.
Paul has been facilitating personal communication skills training for over fourteen years. He has,
- A Masters Degree in Adult Education.
- Authored, and co-authored, numerous books and publications related to Performance Communication Skills in the workplace.
- Designed curriculum for the Province on Ontario.
- Enhanced the communication presence and competence of thousands of individuals
- Developed and delivered Strategic Communication Skills training workshops for many Fortune 500 companies.
Paul is also an Ottawa based English Professor specializing in communication skills for the workplace.
Thank you to our venue sponsor:
Thank you to our event sponsors: